Who we are
The International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE) is the leading global membership organization for open, distance, flexible and online education, including e-learning, and draws its membership from institutions, educational authorities, commercial actors, and individuals.
ICDE has consultative partner status with UNESCO and shares UNESCO’s key value – the universal right to education for all. ICDE further derives its position from the unique knowledge and experience of its members throughout the world in the development and use of new methodologies and emerging technologies.
ICDE was founded in 1938 in Canada as the International Council for Correspondence Education and today has members from over 60 countries worldwide.
ICDE's Permanent Secretariat is in Oslo, Norway, and has been hosted by this country on a permanent basis since 1988. ICDE is supported by the Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research and by membership fees.
- Enabling change to technology enhanced quality education across the globe.
- Advocating for access, equity and quality learning through online, open and flexible learning.
- A dynamic platform for cooperation on innovation and development, featuring key regional actors and leading experts.
- Access to thousands of higher education institutions, networks and systems.
- A key partner for UNESCO.
- Part-funded by the Government of Norway.
Last Updated on Thursday, August 27, 2015 03:45 AM