Marta Mena is currently the Director of Virtual Training Program for Researchers at the Secretariat of Science, Technology and Graduate Studies, National Technological University (Universidad Tecnológica Nacional), Argentina. She was previously in charge of the E-Learning Training Programme (PROCAE) of the Argentine National Government, framed in the Modernization Project of the National State (BIRF 4423-AR World Bank Projects), and managed by the National Cabinet of Ministers and the National Institute of Public Administration. She has been a long-standing supporter of the International Council for Open and Distance Education, serving as Vice President for Latin America and the Caribbean from 1998-2008, and was elected to the Executive Committee under the new constitution for the period 2008-2011. She was also responsible for the organization of seven ICDE International Conferences in Latin America (Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Lima, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Santo Domingo and recently again in Buenos Aires).
She has been involved in the development of extensive research in the field of Distance Education. Recently she was in charge of two important research initiatives related to virtual training in Latin America, the Caribbean and Iberoamerica
The first initiative determines the state of the art of virtual training of public officials in Latin America and the Caribbean. This research was funded by the Latin American Council of Administration for Development and IDRC Canada. The second investigation focused on learning quality in Iberoamerica and was developed for the CEDDET from Spain Government
Further highlights of her CV include:
- Professor and Bachelor of Education Sciences
- Member of the Advisory Board of Vertebral cue Project, Bologna University, European Unit, since 2010.
- Member of the Editorial Board of International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, Athabasca University, Canada.
- Member of Advisory Board of Iberoamerican Review of Distance Education (RIED), Madrid, Spain.
- Teacher in charge of the Distance Education Seminar at the Masters of Educational Technology in the University of Salamanca, Spain – 1989-2006.
- Director of the Master of Distance Education at the University of Morón, Argentina.
- Teacher of the Education Specialization and New Technologies Career at the Latin American School of Social Sciences FLACSO, Argentina – since 2005
- Director of Distance Education specialization at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras 2007-2009.
- Pedagogical Secretary at the School of Economics, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina 1986-2006
- Director of Teacher Training Graduate Studies at the School of Economics, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina 1997-2006
- Director of the Distance Education Program at the School of Economics, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina 1993-2006
- Consultant for National and International Organizations on Distance Education and New Technologies: UNESCO – OAS (Organization of American States) - OEI (Organization of Iberia American States) – IDB (Inter-American Development Bank) – FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) - CLAD (Latin American Center for Development Administration) – UNDP (United Nations Development Program).
- Former President of the Argentine Association of Distance Education
- Author of numerous articles and books on the subject